Sunday, March 7, 2010

Arkansas: Part 8

Oklahoma City to Conway = 308 miles = 4 hours 48 minutes

Words will never be able to describe the rest of the drive.
But I will say this . . . God is good, He is in control and His promises are true.
God was crafting and molding this amazing adventure , and we were the fortunate ones who He allowed to play a part.


When we arrived at Lisa's house and I knocked on the door, it was as if two worlds were colliding.

Next to me stood a dear friend from my past and in my present. . .
In front of me was my present and the beginnings of my future.


We spent the next few days in Conway.
Finding a little coffee shop. Locating the nearest Walmart. Discovering a random park.
We got lost. And we found or way again.



The next thing I am about to tell you . . . in it's beginning, didn't seem to have much importance, but as it quickly played out . . . the realization of God's hand at work . . . would rapidly be discovered.


Ms. B had invited Stephanie and me to dinner. I was so excited for the two of them to meet. I desperately wanted Ms. B to meet my dear friend and roommate who I had spoken so much to her about. And I wanted Stephanie to meet the dear, sweet lady who had been so gracious to me and had helped me find a place to live. We met at Ruby Tuesday's and since we were still much better at getting lost than finding our way . . . we were late . . . but again, it was good that we were. We met Ms. B out front and apologized for being late. She quickly assured us that there was nothing to apologize for and we went inside. We were quickly seated at a table right near the front of the restaurant. We were in plain sight of anyone who may walk in. As we were getting situated and already flowing in conversation, Ms. B quickly asked me if I had given any more thought as to what I would do for work. With a little bit of a heavy heart, I told her no. I didn't know what I was going to do. The restaurant business was all I really knew but my heart grew even heavier in thinking about going back to it. I shared these thoughts with her and she quickly understood. The waiter came and took our drink order and being rather hungry we looked over our menus and began the endless process of what to eat. As we were doing this a random man walked up to our table and said hello. It was instantly apparent that Ms. B knew him, and as you might remember, I've already mentioned . . . Ms. B knows everyone in Conway, or once again . . . it felt this way. But we hadn't even been in the restaurant for more than five minutes and she was already recognized. They talked only for a brief minute, he apologized for interrupting and then went back to the front of the restaurant. I didn't give much thought to this at all. But as soon as he was out of ear shot, Ms. B began to tap on the table to get my attention. "Elizabeth . . . Elizabeth . . . Elizabeth, that man is looking for someone to work for him!!" Excitement exuded from her voice and I couldn't help but get excited myself. "He is?" was all I managed to respond with. "YES" she said. "He's a CPA and he needs someone to help with the clients relations side of things. He needs someone that is organized and great with people." She went on a bit more about the brief explanation he had given her. I looked at Stephanie . . . I looked at Ms. B . . . I couldn't even really speak.


The words

"It can really be this easy"

were gentler than they had ever been.

It was so soft. . . so so soft.



A job?

God you have a job for me too?



The two biggest concerns I had in moving to Arkansas were finding a place to live and finding a job. Once again, a peace that I will never be able to explain, swept over me . . .
You're gonna take care of me?
You're gonna make sure I am ok here?

Why wouldn't He??

He always had been. He ALWAYS had been. ALWAYS!



We stayed in Conway a few more days and then Stephanie and I headed for Dallas. You see, Dallas is where Stephanie was flying out of to go back to Colorado and Dallas is also where my brother and his new wife lived. There was so much to look forward to in Dallas, but going to Dallas also meant something else . . . it meant my time with Stephanie was coming to an end so much quicker than I wanted it to.



November 10, 2009

Last day in Dallas.

We got up early, packed our things and headed for the airport.

I didn't want this to happen. I didn't want to say goodbye.


Saying goodbye to Stephanie wasn't going to be easy, but being that we were only about 15 minutes away from the airport . . . there wasn't much time to process what was happening. When we arrived at the departure drop off . . . Reality stood . . . waiting for us. I put my car in parked and we looked at each other. Whoever spoke first . . . doesn't really matter . . . because this is another moment I will always remember. It was one of the hardest goodbye's I've ever had to do . . . but there were no great tears . . . no amazingly profound speeches. We simply promised each other that this was not the end . . but oh yes, I'll say it . . . the beginning. Life as we knew it was changing. Roommates for 4 years . . . now forced to part ways. We talked about the lies that the enemy would try and use to create a wedge between us, and the efforts and strategies we would use to combat those lies.

I knew that I would love, cherish, pray for and remember Stephanie .
But the lie that the enemy would try and use . . . Would she remember me?

Stephanie knew that she would love, cherish, pray for and remember me.
The lie that the enemy would try and use against her . . . Would Elizabeth remember me?

So the truth that we needed to speak and believe . . . "I am not forgotten."

So i hugged my best friend . . . made her promise to text me once she got to Colorado . . .
and said . . .

"I'll see you soon."

















2 comments:

  1. oh man. seems like yesterday...but so far away too. i love you and will always always always remember you! thanks for remembering outloud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you too! And I miss you SO much. I can't wait to visit CO and maybe we can play the iPod game again. ;) You are not forgotten.

    ReplyDelete